What Are Non-Economic Damages in Florida?

Mrs. López and all of the Staff that had helped us it has been an absolute pleasure. They always had an answer to our questions and treated us with respect but most of all they listened.

Alondra O.

Outstanding Attorneys and Legal Team. Lopez, Justin, and Daisy were quick to answer my questions and handled my accident case with speed and courtesy. The outcome was much better than I anticipated.

Robert R.

A huge thanks to your office for such a great experience with my case. Special thanks to Denora, Carmen, and especially Kevin for answering my many calls and questions and keeping me informed through the entire process. I’m am extremely happy and grateful with the outcome.

Kathy W.

Accidents cause a lot of problems in victims’ lives, and when the victim of an accident was injured because of another person’s negligent actions, they deserve monetary compensation.

Monetary compensation is often referred to as damages when speaking of civil cases. There are two main types of damages: economic and non-economic. Economic damages are fairly straightforward, but what are non-economic damages in Florida?

Florida Economic vs. Non-Economic Damages

Economic damages refer to the financial losses that you face when you’ve been hurt in an accident—for instance, the medical bills you have to pay for to treat your injury. A few other monetary damages include lost income, costs of physical therapy treatment, costs of mental health treatment, and costs of caregiving services.

Non-economic damages are the other ways your accident has negatively impacted your life that aren’t financial in nature. For instance, when you are injured, you may experience significant physical pain. For some, the pain can last for many months following an injury, and you may even need pain management treatment and medications.

Other common non-economic damages that accident victims deal with are post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), mental and emotional trauma, permanent disability, scarring and disfigurement, loss of mobility, and lost life enjoyment.

How Do You Receive Compensation for Economic and Non-Economic Damages?

Filing an injury claim or lawsuit against the person who harmed you is the only way to receive economic and non-economic damages. You can submit a claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company, or you can take your case to court.

Either way, your goal is to be paid back for the financial expenses that this accident has caused you and to be compensated for the negative effects of an accident you didn’t cause.

Partner with a Personal Injury Lawyer in Florida

Now you understand what non-economic damages are in Florida, and you can take action against the person who caused you to be injured. To reach an attorney with Lopez & Humphries, PA and take advantage of our free case assessment offer, dial (863) 774-3573. You can also complete the case assessment form below and send it in.

Start Live Chat? We don’t get paid to lose.