Lakeland Social Security Disability Lawyers
Common Questions: What are the steps involved in receiving social security disability or supplemental security income?
- The first step is applying. There are three ways to do that:
- You can apply in person at your local office. In Polk County there is an office in Lakeland on Commerce Drive and one in Winter Haven on Central Avenue.
- You can apply by phone by calling (863) 774-3573. ; or
- You can apply online at SSA.gov.
- Social security typically responds in sixty to ninety days. If you get turned down, do not give up- Step two is called the “request for reconsideration.” You fill out the papers and can submit them by mail or in person.
- Again, you usually receive a response in sixty to ninety days. If you are turned down at step two you go to the final stage by submitting a “request for hearing.” This is the longest stage in the process. Over the last year or so, our hearing cases have waited from twelve to eighteen months.
Why should I hire Lopez & Humphries?
If you retain Lopez & Humphries, you will have an experienced Lakeland Social Security Disability attorney handle your case from start to finish. Some law firms or associations that handle social security cases have a “representative” handle your case. We only have attorneys represent you. This means that you will have someone who is trained in the rules of evidence, and we have been admitted to the state and federal bars, In addition, our attorneys have handled over 1000 social security cases that have gone to hearings. This is in addition to over 100 jury trials that we have handled.
No one will hire me so why does social security keep on turning me down on benefits?
Not finding a job is not a standard on determining whether you are disabled or not. The social security administration uses a 5 step evaluation to decide whether you are disabled or not. The most important criteria are your present physical capabilities and your prior work. Although you may not be able to work in heavy or manual labor, social security often turns you down by determining that you are able to do other jobs that are lighter in nature. It may not matter if you have no experience other than being a truck driver or a cement layer because there are many jobs that exist that are unskilled and do not require heavy lifting.
What is the difference between social security disability and social security income?
Both social security disability (SSD) and supplemental security income (SSI) use the same physical or functional ability standards in determining ability, but SSD is based on your work history and the amount of credits you have with social security. In general, if you have worked five of the last of ten years, then you meet the initial requirements of SSD, but if you do not have enough credits, you may be eligible for SSI. However, a requirement of SSI is minimal household income. Essentially, if you own personal property valued over $3000, you may not qualify for SSI even if you are clearly disabled. Further information regarding income limits may be found at SSA.gov or by calling Social Security.
Do I need to hire a Lakeland Social Security Disability Lawyer?
No, you can represent yourself like in every legal battle, but there are many reasons why you should hire a lawyer- we are experienced in trials; we can prepare your hearing questions;, we will make sure the court has all of your medical records; and we have specific forms that we give your doctors that will help your case.
When you or your loved one have any questions or need help with your Social Security Disability Claim, you should seek the legal advice and representation of an experienced Lakeland Social Security Disability lawyer as soon as possible. The longer you wait to obtain legal representation, it may directly affect your ability to achieve a successful outcome. Contact the law offices of Lopez & Humphries, P.A., today by calling (863) 774-3573.